Sunday, October 29, 2006

Wired News:

Some of the web's more popular "milblogs" -- blogs maintained by present or former active duty military personnel -- are going quiet following a renewed push by U.S. military officials to scan sites for security risks.
I can understand the government's reasoning behind such a censor, as there could potentially be serious national security issues in publishing military blogs for millions to read. Still. . . I wonder what kind of first amendment issues will arise out of this, as keeping a weblog must be protected under the free speech clause.

And second, this makes me sort of sad on a personal level because I love reading milblogs. There are some really professional and informative sites out there, like this one, that stand to suffer from this and though it may be on a smaller scale, I think the blogosphere will notice the hit.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?