Monday, July 24, 2006

Archaic Disenchantment

Abivablog on the cons. . . And pros? Of e-text:
Those who object to the digitization of literature -- I have been known to be one of them -- like to wax rhapsodic about the object known as The Book: its texture, its weight, its intimacy, and if it's a paperback, its snug portability. A book is a world you can hold in your hand; its cover is the door to an alternate universe. A book is tangible and tractable; the pages bend to your will with a whisper. And so on. Books are wonderful. Books are irreplaceable.
Though I think she is focusing more on ebooks here, which tends to emphasize more the fiction side of online literature; slowly all written text is evolving into electronic form.

I used to agree completely with the reminiscent ideology of which Amba now previously finds herself, until I got an ipod.
Once I versed myself in that little piece of technology, I never looked back. It has been nearly a year since I have purchased a CD, and I can't imagine myself ever needing to again. Even though I always swore I would never go electronic because I had to have the liner notes and the jewel case and the simple weight of the disc in my hands. . .
That is all gone now.

I believe I am on board with the electronic books, of whatever sort they may be. It just kind of makes more sense.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?