Saturday, April 15, 2006

Wow!

On one hand, I am surprised at myself for actually reading this entire article.
On the other hand I actually have a few things to say about it.

What of those of us who aren't actors, have never been and will never be actors, who happen to want to name their children creatively and freely.

For instance, I wish to name my first child Atticus Malachai. The next one is Micah Christian.
I should point out here that I am not a Christian. I just like the names.
There are more but you get the idea.

Does this mean that there is some underlying subconscious Christian Meme secretly residing in my brain, keeping the true non-atheist me safe and sound through the word of God when I have my guard down? Or that I couldn't possibly deny this innate "faith" when faced with real volatile emotional and spiritual situations?

No.
It means I like the names.
It also means that this whole business of naming children is nothing more than creative and fun. Why shouldn't rational human beings want to name their child something that enables them to stick out in a crowd. It gives the child a head start on a not so normal life, and that is certainly what I want for my kid.

But most importantly, I would like to reiterate that I can't believe I read this article all the way through.
These child naming shenanigans are irrelevant and mildly insulting.
Forgive me for socially caving for like five minutes. I will try and keep that to a minimum.

It's a bit like doing the hokey-pokey...
That's what it's all about.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?