Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Wachowski From A to V

I just saw V for Vendetta, and while I had no idea that the Wachowski brothers were in any way involved with the film until the end; I think I subconsciously knew it from the start.

It is not The Matrix reincarnate. And though I am a vehement Matrix fan (yes all three, color me underground mainstream) this was a very good thing.

I also must confess that I know virtually nothing of the comic either. Only the basic time period, which I believe was the mid to late eighties.

The timing of release for such a storyline was poignant, casting the United States as these war mongers bent on ridding the world of tyranny, while subtly ensuing their own demise only to have an uber British dictatorship rise to the occasion and ruefully save the day.

Then enters V.
Hugo Weavings voice and what you hope to be his body. Clever is the idea of the perfect hero villain, the perfect benevolent mastermind, bent on healing the woes of the world through ideological chaos. Ironic never looked so sexy.

Speaking of sexy, Natalie Portman, despite her failed English accent was quite stunning in a performance that after having seen, I couldn't imagine another woman, or man coming close to filling the "Oh look at me" damsel in distress turned Milla Jovovich.
Still on the sexy thing, the Brits (the real ones I mean, Weaving included) made for some of the overall tantalizing and titillating lineup any crude American accented person could hope for. Sexy

Overall the film receives thumbs.
Well worth what the theater is overcharging you for. Promise.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?