Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Let's Paint The State Red?

I was on Instapundit earlier, just catching up and I followed a link to Amazon to check out the goings on of Hugh Hewitt's new book "Painting the Map Red: The Fight to Create a Permanent Republican Majority."
I will probably get it, though I usually don't agree with Hewitt's conservative zeal. It kinda creeps me out.
Anyhow, what disturbed me about what I saw was the first customer review you come across. I would link to it but it is the same link I used for Hewitt's book.
You can read it there, but I will also lay it out here.

Bourne in the USA "Bourne Again" writes:
"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it." George Bush told Business Week, July 30th, 2001. This book brilliantly lays out the plan for how we can help achieve the President's vision. A one-party state would bring all three branches of Government into harmonious alignment. Checks and balances may have been ok for an isolated collection of 13 colonies in the 18th century, but they are a luxury that the 21st century's only super power can ill afford. Following the road map Hewitt perceptively lays out here will ultimately consolidate the Bush legacy in a strong executive in charge of a streamlined State. Without opposition from within, the State can move forthrightly forward in matters of national security (wire tapping, for instance) and implement a domestic agenda that reflects majoritorian Will (making the 10 Commandments the laws of the land!) A State that does not have to bow to dissent, diversity or demonic Democrat interest groups will govern more efficiently and effectively. Furthermore, the coming Republican hegemony will not only put an end to the bitter partisanship that has threatened to tear our country apart but will also lower the cost of elections as fewer and fewer races become contestable, fewer people have reason to vote, and fewer ballots need to be printed. Three big cheers for Hugh for helping to drive the blue out of the red, white and blue."


Excuse me?
Whether Bush actually said the dictatorship thing to Business weekly or not (as no proof is herein provided and I don't wish to do the research as it is here unnecessary ), I'm sure that Mr. "Bourne Again" is taking it out of context. I am no fervent Bush supporter, but I don't think it is his vision to see this country turn to dictatorship, at least I hope not.
Now if you wish to see a STATE, in which streamlined leadership reigns supremely with effective and efficient executive power, that's fine. That is a political view, and people are entitled to those as I am mine, but to say that we would be free from the fetters of diversity, that seems a little red to me, and not the same red the Republicans tote.
To wish to see fewer and fewer people vote, and to praise it as a cost efficient practice, that also seems a little red.
Ultimately this whole piece makes me feel kind of like I did while reading Mein Kampf, even if it is in a much more insipid fashion.
I am not implying anything other than the fact that this is one man's opinion, and he is entitled just the same as Pat Robertson, but my opinion is that Mr. "Bourne Again" is not alone.
And that is a scary, scary thought.
What I hope he can someday realize is that it is that precise mixture of Red, White and Blue that affords him such opinions without fear, or pain of death.
It is that same diversity that has produced that technology, which developed that very computer on which he paints his red.
Which, as a moderate I may venture to say is probably not the same red that even Hugh Hewitt dons. Again, I at least hope not.

And if this is the reward that being born again brings, then I am fine with the life that all of my diverse fellow Americans, both past and present, bled and sweat to build for me.
I am an American, and that means this America, not the Isolated Dictatorship of America.
I'm not red and I'm not blue.
I'm all three.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?