Wednesday, February 15, 2006

You Learn Something New Every Day

So I was on a roadtrip of sorts today with a friend of mine who is gay.
We got to talking about death and I mentioned that I needed to have a living will drawn up because I want to specify that my body is to be donated to science when I pass.
He then told me that he could not do so, nor could he give blood.
I responded with, "why, do they not accept gay organs?"
A very non PC joke I know, but I am known to dish those out from time to time.
And he said, that's correct.
And I said, WHAT?
(I thought I was just making yet another Jay and Dave crude gay joke, revealing my social insecurity toward the subtle, but ever present comfort of gays and their lifestyle), but that is precisely the reason that he cannot donate blood or organs.
So in shock was I, that I initially took his word for it, which I am not prone to do; ever.
So I came home and did a little research, it's here and here, and here is a fun little side article; and he is right.
Read these articles and ask yourself, "do we live in paranoid Magic Johnson and Freddy Mercury 1990, or are we so hyper-technologically evolved that we are above civil reproach?"
What on earth is happening over at the FDA?
Gay men are no more likely to contract HIV than straight men having unprotected sex; and I may venture to say that there are a healthy number of straight men out there doing so.
Take a look at the pregnancy rate.
I am so sick and tired of this nervous laughter, stand and applaud when the light goes off attitude toward the gay community.
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but when we die, we all go to the same place...
Nowhere.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?